"This is what the Kingdom is like..."
I'm sure all of the whispering stopped. Ears perked up as the listeners of the parable waited to hear what the Teacher would use to compare to that great eternal reality that they were so hungry to know.
I wonder if He paused. And if so, I wonder what word they expected to hear. Maybe it's like a hurricane that sweeps in and leaves undeniable evidence of its existence? Or what about an earthquake that shakes lives from their crippling hopelessness?
"A man scatters seed on the ground."
A seed? I can see the listeners' eyes grow wide as they consider the fragility of not just a seed, but a mustard seed. Is it really possible for the Kingdom to not take root? Or even worse, is it possible for the seed of the Kingdom to be choked out by a weed? Once again, the great Mystery alluded them, as they looked for something naturally overwhelming and missed something supernatural subtle.
I must admit, my own logic struggles with this as I look around at the weeds. They seem to loom so large over the people I pass by on the streets everyday. The most heart-churning weeds, however, are the ones I see in my students' eyes. They bear a level of pressure and responsibility that leaves me silently shaking my head. So common is the story of someone receiving the seed with gladness, then asking themselves, "What would this mean for my future?" Hope gives way to practicality and they go plowing along with their lives.
Perhaps that's why He is calling us to our knees in a strong way this semester. Scripture calls us to "make straight paths in the desert" and to "strengthen the arms that hang down." We've realized that our response shouldn't be to sit back and watch the grass grow, but to grab the machete we've been given and use it. Weed-chopping is my new favorite hobby. We have hope of a great reaping in the Springtime!
Take heart
On an introspective note, I've been stirred about protecting seeds in my own life. I believe the seed analogy applies to His truth growing in our hearts as well. Sometimes I want His voice to come shouting from the heavens and knock the chopsticks out of my hand, but again, it's funny how He compares truth to a seed. May I never forget that the power in that seed makes hurricanes and earthquakes pale in comparison!
What's the still, small, mustard seed truth He's spoken to your heart that you must guard with your machete and nourish with your water bucket? Be patient. Let it grow. Take heart.
The play by play for the detail people...
Well after a proposal and a company conference in Thailand, I'm finally back in the classroom. I believe my head has almost finished spinning from 13 flights and 3 countries in 2 months. Our team has settled into a groove where we're seeing new provision for a new semester. We believe many new things will come this semester! Actually, our most immediate desire is for new weather! Cold+rain+no insulation= prayer request. We believe the spring will come, along with many things He has put in our hearts. And by "our," I mean my awesome team. We've had really rich time together. I'm so glad He doesn't call us to live alone. I wish you all could know these folks. Thank you for continually lifting us up!
No comments:
Post a Comment