As a result, I feel like I should apologize to you if I ever made a statement like, "China is ______." I made many matter-of-fact statements like that before I came here, but what did I know? It would help if you take the statement I made to you, consider the opposite and throw them both in a mixing bowl. That's a great recipe for China.
Okay, context. Last weekend we visited Qufu, the birthplace of a man who is a layer in every good Chinese onion- Confucius (or Kong Zi if you're really wanting to learn Chinese!).
We visited the temple where they worship a man who never intended to be viewed as a god. Yes, the Chinese approach to him is an onion all to itself.
Confucius is buried here....or so they say. Actually our tour guide wasn't even sure, but he is buried somewhere... A bit perplexing, but it did make me think about graves that are definitely empty :)
Overall, I'm glad I visited Qufu. I gained a deeper respect for the Chinese capacity for belief and a deeper understanding of Paul's temple experience in Acts 17. What is this need for worship that is found in every culture? It seems we all share this layer. Could it be made by and for Someone? Hmm.
I think I'll stick with the onion analogy. It's lasted for 13 weeks so far, and I don't see the layers running out anytime soon.
The rest of the trip (for all you picture people)
Qingdao- Northeast China. Beautiful. Put it on your list when you come visit me :)
No comments:
Post a Comment