Thursday, September 29, 2011

Group hug.

If this were a party, I'd be a terrible host. A month in Nanchang and I haven't even introduced everyone! Please forgive me. Meet my team:




Caleb
(he decided not to be serious for the pic)
Our devoted team leader.
Servant hearted, humble, fun-loving
Desires for us all to be heard and known in our team times.
We've definitely struck a common chord with sports!
He's adopted Auburn as his second team (behind his state team of Michigan. I'm also now a Detroit Lions fan!)
And he's a fellow guitar player!
This is his 6th year here.
He's a great friend.







Connie
Or better known as "Connie Mom"
Full of life, fervent, compassionate
She hugs EVERYONE. I love it.
She has won awards and made our school famous for its English program.
She continually lifts us up.
She is a great hostess.
She inspires and encourages.
She has great perspective.
She amazes me.











Faith
(but "th" is a problem for the Chinese, so you mostly hear "Face"!)
Loyal, a good listener, selfless
"Oh, I'll do it" she always says.
Her steady spirit adds stability to our team.
These students love her.
Her door is always open to them, and to us.
She's consistent and devoted.
She's patient (especially when I ask the same questions over and over...).
She's great.







Kelly
The only fellow Southerner (Memphis!).
Passionate, intentional, empathetic
She really cares about people.
Like really.
She's not afraid to be open and honest.
She's a great facilitator of communication.
Her blonde moments make me feel at home (love you, Mom and Christy :)!)
She definitely adds flare to the group.
She makes us all feel valued.
We're thankful for Kelly.












So that's my team! In writing this I'm thinking, "it's only been a month?"- I feel like I've known these guys for a while. I already feel so comfortable with them. They are just one more of the countless examples of provision I've experienced from His faithful hand.

Update on the New Semester
I've started 2 of my 7 classes (the rest start on October 10), and they are going really well. I'm still putting my thoughts together on what it's like to stand in front of these eager Chinese faces, but invigorating would be a good place to start. I'm so pumped when I leave class. I feel like they get me and I'm starting to get them. So exciting...

Seeing as how I'm one of 20 or so foreigners on a campus of 30k, I've reached instant celebrity status. This comes with the works: student paparazzi, blatant stares, wide eyes, and giggling. There's never a dull moment, to say the least.

So yeah, I like it. I recognize I could still be in the "honeymoon" phase of culture shock, but I would almost say that I really like it. Ask me in six months though and I think I'll have a better answer...

While you guys are working next week you can think about me basking in the sun on the beautiful coast of Southern China. Next week is China's National Holiday, and what better way to celebrate than to give the country a week off? A great idea. So, I'm headed to Xiamen with some teammates and students. I love my job.

Updates, people! I love to hear them. Thank you for all of your support. I just wish you could see all the fruit it's bearing :)

1 comment:

  1. You know I love details; thanks for the info. about your team. I'm glad you're surrounded by awesome people. Enjoy Xiamen. Xo

    ReplyDelete