Friday, September 16, 2011

snails and earthquakes.

Sometimes it takes me awhile to realize my mouth is hanging open.
Stop staring, I tell myself.
I can't help it! This place is fascinating. China is fascinating.
I've always loved puzzles, so the complexity of this place and these beautiful people have left me in a playground.

However, I do apologize- sometimes it takes me a while to snap out of my gaze and let you look through my glasses (albeit still foggy).
I haven't even taken many pictures. That's how bad my figurative staring is!
Admitting it is the first step to recovery I suppose... I'll do better...
On with the title explanation:

Snails
So I told myself my blog would be more substantial than just a photo album of strange foods, but how could I resist Nanchang spicy snails? Plastic glove in one hand, sharp stick in the other...


Earthquakes
On an Auburn site I read that our beloved eagle, in her majestic pre-game flight, flew smack into a press box window. If that wasn't a bad enough omen, we had to evacuate our building 30 minutes before last week's kickoff due to an aftershock from a 4.6 earthquake... Needless to say I was the first one back in the building to watch the game! What a game- take that, omens! My team (this is them, by the way...introductions later!) has been incredibly welcoming to me, but they still haven't figured out my love for college football...


11 day synopsis
Snails and earthquakes are categorial opposites, but I feel like I've seen everything in between so far. Now that my head has stopped spinning a bit, I hope to offer you more consistent nuggets. Pictures and stories I can do, but what I really wish you could see is how joyful and peaceful my heart is. As much as my surroundings have changed, I believe many more things have changed inside me already. I believe renewal is the word. Praise...

2 comments:

  1. The snails I ate in France were delicious, but spicy snails sound even better. BTW Auburn should trounce Clemson tomorrow, and Wisconsin is going to be 3-0 when Northern Illinois goes down =)

    I'm glad you're diving right in to Chinese society and broadening your horizons even further - I'm damn proud to be your cousin!
    Your post reminded me of a quotation from Sri Aurobindo, an Indian freedom fighter and intellectual whom I admire,

    "True spirituality rejects no new light, no added means or materials of our human self-development. It means simply to keep our centre, our essential way of being, our inborn nature and assimilate to it all we receive, and evolve out of it all we do and create."

    I'm thinking of you often, and wish you happiness and fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving at a "snail's pace" holds a totally different meaning for me now....love the "pictures" you show me.

    ReplyDelete