When I asked one particular Nanchang veteran how she would describe the city, she said, "It's in puberty." Hmm...I was expecting "good" or "hot" or "crowded"....
Certainly the word "puberty" conjures up specific memories in our minds- particularly awkwardness, squeaky voices, pimples, and slow dancing. If you're not cringing at the memory of your junior-high self you're just not being honest.
That is Nanchang, at least from what I've seen in my limited time. But who of us can judge where they are? Puberty has to happen right? Nanchang is beginning to swerve from the far-right slow lane to the get-out-of-my-way left lane. This city has always been old school and rural, but China's economic locomotive is demanding rapid urbanization to fuel it's growth. Bottom line: it's Nanchang's turn to carry the load.
What does that mean? Well, for starters, Ford is building a $300-mill plant here. That should go nicely with the designs for brand new skyscrapers to be built soon. Welcome to the show, Nanchang.
Oh yeah, then there's that puberty thing. There certainly are the (figurative, of course) cracking voices and pimples here, but hope seems to be what people see when they look in the mirror. [again, I'm the new guy, so take it with a grain of salt]
There is one thing I'm pretty sure of- I'm in the slow-dance with Nanchang. I'm awkwardly extending my arms and not really knowing where to put my hands. We're kind of cheesily smiling at one another while we try not to make too much eye contact. I'm trying not to step on her feet and wondering if she notices how sweaty my hands are.
She's awkward, but still endearing. I suppose it's the hope. Hope has a way of propping the door open for redemption, and that's the song I believe we're dancing to.
My upward thought: may these people know the meaning of the song before the music ends. Thank you for lifting that up with me.
Well done.
ReplyDelete